Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only

Frequently Asked Questions


How does the new law affect me?

The most obvious change is that homeowners no longer contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) with manufactured structure related questions. Whereas in the past you may have received a title and license plate when you bought your home, you now receive an Ownership Document. Information about the owners, lien holders, site location, exemption status, and the structure itself are recorded on this document. If you want to make changes to these elements of the ownership document, contact your local county assessor's office which will be acting on behalf of the Building Codes Division.
Read on for more specific questions and answers.

What do I do if I am an existing homeowner?

You are not required to do anything. The information in the LOIS system has been transferred from the DMV database. If you sell, move, or take out a loan on the home, these changes will be recorded in the system. Any additional or corrected information will be added to the record at that time.

How do I go about selling my manufactured home?

The seller is responsible for processing all the paperwork. You can sell the home yourself, but you may want to consider using a licensed manufactured structure dealer. Just signing the ownership document or title over to the purchaser does not transfer ownership. Sales must be recorded with the county in which the home is sited using a Notice of Sale/Change of Ownership form, Bill of Sale, and Supplemental Information form. Contact your county assessor's office for instructions on how to transfer ownership. Remember, all taxes must be paid in full before you can sell a manufactured structure, and your lien, lease, or rental agreement may have additional conditions.

If I purchase a used manufacture home, who has the responsibility for processing the paperwork?

The seller has the responsibility to file the paperwork for the transaction. When you purchase the home, you may accompany the seller to the county assessor's office to make sure the transaction is completed or if the seller does not complete the transaction within 30 days, the buyer can do so at the county assessor's office.

Who gets the ownership document?

The division will send the original Ownership Document to the first security interest holder, with copies to the Owner, the County, and additional security interest holders. If there are no security interest holders, the original Ownership Document will be sent to the first listed Owner, with copies to all other owners (if any), and to the County.

How do I make changes to the owners listed on my title or ownership document?

Submit a Notice of Sale/Change of Ownership form, along with a Supplemental Information form to the county assessor's office where the home is sited. All security interest holders and owners listed on the home must acknowledge or release their interest before an owner can be added or removed. Once the change occurs, the security interest holders and all owners will be notified of the changes made to the ownership document.

I have lost the title or ownership document to me home - what do I do?

Although you do not need to do anything until you decide to sell your home, you can request a new ownership document by submitting a Multi-Purpose Change form to the county tax assessor's office.

My lender wants me to "exempt" my manufactured structure - what does that mean?

A manufactured home is generally considered personal property, but if you own the manufactured structure as well as he land that it sits on, your home can be recorded in the county deed records as real property. You might also be able to exempt your home if you have a 20 year lease on the land or park space where it is sited. Contact the county assessor's office or your title company for more details.

What if I use my manufactured structure for storage or some purpose other than living quarters?

LOIS allows for these homes to be flagged as "out of service." The county assessor's office can make this change and place a note describing the homes use in the comment box. In addition, changes in the use of your manufactured structure need to be approved by the building department for the county or city in which the home is sited. A permit and modifications to the home may be required. In addition, the HUD tags and/or insignia must be removed from the structure and surrendered to the county.

Do I have to pay taxes on my manufacture home?

Yes. All manufactured structures are subject to property tax at the same rate as other homes. Counties must mail tax statements by October 25. This statement is from the county in which your structure was located on January 1 of that year. Tax payments are due on November 15. Contact you local county tax collector for more information.

How does the county assess and tax my structure?

The county assessor must appraise a manufactured structure and assign a value the same as other property, based on sales activity in your area and other appraisal data. Your property taxes are based on a formula that uses the assessed value times the tax rate in your area.

Are the taxes included in my mortgage payment?

In most cases, the structure's owner is responsible for taxes. If you have questions about your loan or establishing an escrow for tax payments, contact you lending institution.

I own a manufactured home. Do I qualify for any tax relief programs?

You may qualify for a Veteran's Exemption or Senior/Disabled Citizen Deferral. For more information on tax exemption and deferral programs, contact your county assessor or visit the Department of Revenue Property Tax web site, http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/PTD/Pages/index.aspx.

What do I have to do if I want to move my structure?

A trip permit is required whenever the site location for a manufactured structure changes. Trip permits can be obtained by a licensed transporter or at your county assessor's office. Depending on the size of the home, you might also need an over-dimensional permit from DMV to move the structure over public roads. Contact your local DMV office for this permit. Please note that all county taxes must be paid before you can move a manufactured structure. In addition, you must have a siting permit to set up your home at the new site. Check with your county or city building department to obtain a siting permit.

What would I need to know if I want to place my manufactured structure in a park?

You must be approved by the park as a tenant to place your home in a park or if you purchase a structure already in a park. Most parks require an application fee and check credit and criminal histories. A park may require construction and/or maintenance or carports, driveways, and landscaping. Oregon Landlord/Tenant Law (ORS 90.510) requires manufactured home communities to provide a statement of policy, rental agreement, and rules and regulations when you move into a park.

If I live in a park, what are my responsibilities?

When you move into a park and sign a lease or rental agreement, you should receive a copy of the rental agreement, the policy statement, and the rules and regulations. These documents outline what is expected of you as a tenant and any fees included in your rent/lease payments. Keep these documents in a safe place.

If I rent the land my home is on, what are my rights as a homeowner?

Both homeowners and landowners have rights and responsibilities in this situation. When questions arise, contact the Manufactured Dwelling Park Community Relations Program, (800) 453-5511.

Does work on a manufactured home require permits?

Yes. Permits are typically needed for installation, skirting alterations, and some accessory structures. Check with your county or city building department to obtain these permits.

I am having problems getting service work done on my home. Who do I contact?

BCD responds to requests for assistance from owners, retailers, manufacturers, or other parties who experience problems with manufactured homes. The division can conduct an investigation and can require repairs or mediate some other solution. Contact the Building Codes Division for more information.

Do people in the manufactured home industry have to be licensed?

Yes. BCD licenses manufactured structure installers. In addition, BCD inspects homes at the manufacturing plant to verify that manufacturers design homes to national and state building codes. The Division of Finance and Corporate Securities (DFCS) license manufacture structure dealers.