Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only

Frequently Asked Questions


Why should I use the Lois system?

The Lois system is functional and convenient. As a Lois user you can:

  • Purchase and print trip permits from the convenience of your home or office
  • Record siting information
  • Generate reports that you can use to track your work.

When is a trip permit needed?

Trip permits are needed when:

  • A used home moves from one site to another and is not listed as dealer inventory
  • A used home is moved out of state
  • A used home is moved to a salvage yard to be destroyed
  • A new home is moved to a site other than the dealer's lot
  • A new home is sold out of dealer inventory

Trip permits are NOT needed when:

  • A new home is moving from the manufacturer to dealer inventory
  • A new home is moved out of state
  • A used home in dealer inventory is being relocated out of state
  • A home is owned by the United States Government
  • A new or used home from out of state is placed into dealer inventory

Who can purchase a trip permit?

A dealer, transporter, or homeowner may purchase a trip permit, but a transporter must be designated at the time of purchase. Only the individual or entity named on the permit is authorized to move the structure. To purchase a trip permit online, complete the information and pay the $5 permit fee. NOTE: you no longer need to display trip permits on the structure, but you do need to carry the permit with you.

Do I need to purchase all of my trip permits at once?

Trip permits are needed for each section of a home being moved, but do not have to be purchased at the same time. The system is very flexible. One person can purchase a trip permit for one section, and another person can purchase a trip permit for another section. One person can purchase a trip permit for all sections simultaneously, or during separate transactions. This is completely at the discretion of the purchaser.

When should a trip permit be purchased?

Before a trip permit can be issued, the home must exist in the Lois System, and a pending site must be recorded in the Lois System.

How long is a trip permit valid?

30 days.

What do I do with my trip permit after the structure has been transported?

As a system user you can log onto the Lois System and complete delivery information on line. The trip permit may also be mailed into BCD or faxed for permit completion. All trip permits must be completed within 10 days of the move.

If I don't want to be a registered system user, can I still get a trip permit?

Yes, but you will have to go to your county assessor's office in person, or ask the dealer or homeowner to apply for the permit on your behalf.

What do I do with my unused, bulk permits I bought from DMV?

Take them to DMV for reimbursement.