Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only

Residential Structures Program

Sign up for email updates for the Residential Structures Program

Program Facts
Codebook Assistant
What you need to do the work
Program Activities
Helpful Tools

Program News & Updates
3/23/15 Statewide Alternate Method Electronic Snow Load Map
Newly Adopted Rules (within the last 90 days)
Permanent Rule - Amendment to 2014 ORSC & OSSC
Program Facts

Current codebook:
2014 Oregon Residential Specialty Code (ORSC) Read-Only Version

2014 Oregon Residential Specialty Code (ORSC) Insert Pages

2011 Oregon Residential Specialty Code (ORSC)

2010 Oregon Solar Installation Specialty Code (OSISC)

Adoptive date:
October 1, 2014

July 1, 2011


October 1, 2010

Primary residential code contact:
Tony Rocco
Building Code Specialist

Additional residential code contact:
Steve Judson, P.E.
Commercial Structures and Accessibility Code Specialist

Codebook Assistant

History of the Oregon Low Rise Residential Dwelling Code

Errata for the 2011 Oregon Residential Specialty Code
Errata for the 2008 Oregon Residential Specialty Code

History of Oregon Codes
History of building codes adopted and amended by the State of Oregon

Rescinded interpretations

Request form
PDF | Word

Where to purchase codebooks

Statewide alternate methods
Statewide alternate methods
Request form
PDF | Word

View codebooks online
2011 Oregon Residential Specialty Code
2008 Oregon Residential Specialty Code

What you need to do the work

For homeowners:
Do I need a plumbing permit?
Do I need a mechanical permit?
Do I need an electrical permit?
Do I need a structural permit?

As a consumer, it is beneficial to check a contractor's license number before allowing work to be done on your project:

Building Codes Division issues licenses to four types of trade contractors: electrical contractor, elevator contractor, plumbing contractor, boiler contractor. Every trade contractor must also possess an active Building Contractor license issued by the Construction Contractors Board (CCB). It is a good idea to check the status of both licenses before allowing work to be done on your project.

General contractor's license from Construction Contractors Board (CCB).
Click here to check your contractor


Appropriate trade license from Building Codes Division (BCD).
Click here to check for electrical, plumbing, or boiler trade licenses for your contractor

  (Website provided by Oregon Utility Notification Center)
Program Activities
Board activities
Residential Structures Board dates and activities
Committee activities
Committee activities
Helpful Tools

ASCE 7-10: Oregon Wind Map and Risk Category Code Language


Bracing: Microsoft Excel is required to use the Seismic and Wind calculators. Save the document to your computer, keeping the .xls extension. These documents will open in all versions of Excel.

Residential Thermal Performance: Microsoft Excel 2010 is required to use the 2011 ORSC Thermal Performance calculator. Save the document to your computer, keeping the .xlsx extension. This document will only function properly in Excel 2010 or later.

Energy Program
2011 ORSC residential energy help guides

Bathroom exhaust fans
Commentary on OAR 918-480-0120
Emergency Escape and Rescue Windows commentary
ORSC Accessory Structures
Radon Training for provisions effective 4/1/11
Radon – Group R-3 Requirement Overview
Radon: Appendix F - General Commentary
Residential furnace used for dry-out
Residential kitchen hood requirements II

Hot topics
Division Approved Moisture Content Acknowledgment Form

PDF - Moisture Verification Form
Word - Moisture Verification Form

Residential Fire Sprinkler Hearing archives
Certificate of Occupancy Form and Format Standards
Model Certificate of Occupancy Form
EIFS Poster
Master Builder
Low Volume Window Label Program
Window Sill Height

Construction Claims Task Force Final Report
FEMA's Homebuilders' Guide to Earthquake-Resistant Design and Construction
Residential Energy Code Publications: help guides for compliance
Local Building Department Newsletter