Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only

FAQ for 1% Training Program

How does the 1% Training fund help you in your quest for continuing education?
State law allows BCD to collect a 1% surcharge on building permit fees to defray the cost of code change and code-update training. The classes developed for this initiative are designed to meet continuing education requirements in the electrical, plumbing, structural/mechanical and boiler programs. The goal of the training is to promote safe, effective, and consistent implementation, interpretation, and administration of the code among inspectors, designers, contractors, and licensees across the state.
What is the difference between 1% Training courses and other continuing education courses that BCD approves?
The cost of 1% Training courses has been partially prepaid. The student is charged a registration fee that is lower than the costs to provide the course.
These classes address content specifically outlined by BCD to ensure that they cover the most recent code and law changes and developments. Course providers must submit comprehensive proposals to the division. BCD staff experts use an evaluation process to choose the best course from several proposals.

1% Training is provided in seven different regions:


  • Tri-County (Multnomah, Washington or Clackamas county)

  • Mid-Willamette Valley (Marion or Polk county)

  • Southern Willamette Valley (Benton, Linn or Lane county)

  • Central Coast (Tillamook, Lincoln, Coos county)

  • Southern Oregon (Jackson or Klamath county)

  • Central Oregon (Deschutes, Jefferson or Crook county)

  • Eastern Oregon (Umatilla, Union, Wallowa, Baker or Malheur county)

Course providers are required to schedule their class in all seven of these regions.


What is the same about 1% Training courses and other continuing education courses approved by BCD?
Like other continuing education programs approved by the division, 1% Training courses meet the continuing education requirements for the program area, and providers give a certificate of completion and notify BCD, if needed, to update continuing education records.
How do I register for the 1% Training courses?
You must register directly with the course provider. Contact information is available on the Website. Organizations are also required to advertise their 1% Training classes. You may hear about the classes from them directly.