Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only

Broker dealer frequently asked questions


Does Oregon require a broker-dealer to file financial statements?

A:   No. Any financial information we need to review can be obtained from FINRA using the authority the firm gave the Division through the BD Consent Form.
Q:   How do I apply to be licensed in Oregon as a broker-dealer?

Any broker-dealer which is a member of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) must apply through the Central Registration Depository (CRD) system by filing an amended Form BD showing Oregon is being added as a licensed jurisdiction. You must also provide at least one person who will be licensed to transact business in Oregon. Any broker-dealer which is not a member of FINRA must send all of the described documents, fees, and information directly to the Division.


How do I apply to be licensed in Oregon as an associated person of a broker-dealer?

A:   Individuals associated with an FINRA broker-dealer file a Form U-4 through the CRD system, showing Oregon is being added as a licensed jurisdiction. Our fee will be withdrawn from the broker-dealer's CRD account. Individuals associated with a non-FINRA broker-dealer must send a manually signed Form U-4 directly to the Division along with the fees.

What examinations are required for associated persons of broker-dealers?

A:   Oregon requires proof of passing scores on two examinations. One exam must be a "blue sky" exam (Series 63 or 66) and one exam must be a product exam (Series 7 for a general securities license, or see other exams listed in Oregon Administrative Rule 441-175-0130(4) for a limited license). If exam scores are not shown on a CRD record for the individual, a copy of the document showing passing scores must be submitted to the Division.

Information about the federal securities law requirements may be obtained by contacting:

Securities and Exchange Commission Pacific Regional Office
5670 Wilshire Blvd.,
11th Fl.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(800) 732-4711


For information on the range of capital funding options available to businesses, contact the
Oregon Business Development Department
775 Summer St. NE
Salem, OR 97310
(503) 986-0200