This page tells you who regulates certain industries, such as insurance, or certain financial issues, such as wage complaints. Multiple agencies regulate some industries. We are happy to help you find the right agency. Phone numbers for our divisions are on this site.
Banks, trusts, credit unions
- Oregon-chartered banks and credit unions: 503-947-7486.
- National banks, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency: 1-800-613-6743 or e-mail, or visit the website.
- National credit unions, the National Credit Union of Administration: 602-302-6000.
- Don’t know which federal or state agency to contact? Call the Oregon Department of Finance and Corporate Securities, 503-947-7486.
Broker dealers and their representatives
- The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) database can tell you if a broker firm and its representatives are licensed to do business in Oregon. The database also links to the representatives' employment and disciplinary history. Click here.
- The Department of Justice if you owe a debt and believe you are being harassed: Salem, 503-378-4320; Portland, 503-229-5576; 877-877-9392 (toll-free). You can also visit this webpage to learn more about fair debt collection laws and how to dispute a debt.
- The Oregon Division of Finance and Corporate Securities if you are a business with assigned accounts to a collection agency for debt recovery and want to file a complaint: 503-947-7474.
- To see if a collection agency is licensed: 503-947-7474.
- Construction Contractors Board: 503-378-4621.
- Oregon Department of Justice: File a complaint, learn how to protect yourself from fraud and scams, and research businesses at oregonconsumer.gov. Call the toll-free consumer hotline at 1-877-877-9392. Be notified of emerging scams through the Scam Alert Network (sign up online at oregonconsumer.gov).
- Funeral insurance policies are regulated by the Oregon Insurance Division: 888-877-4894
- Prearranged funeral trust accounts are regulated by the Oregon Division of Finance and Corporate Securities: 503-378-4140
Home foreclosure questions/scams
- To see if a company promising help is operating legally in Oregon: 503-947-7854 or visit the website.
- For legitimate help if you are behind on a loan or facing foreclosure: Call 2-1-1 to locate a nonprofit counseling agency near you.
- If you are having trouble with my loan modification company: 503-947-7466.
- Questions about documents the bank sent to you and nonjudicial foreclosure: 503-947-7039.
- Spanish-speaking borrowers: 503-947-7854 (Fernando Velez).
- Legal help for clients facing foreclosure: Legal Aid Services of Oregon, 1-855-412-8828 (toll-free) or 503-227-0198 in Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas counties.
- Oregon Department of Justice: Salem, 503-378-4320; Portland, 503-229-5576; 877-877-9392 (toll-free).
Insurance companies and agents
- The Oregon Insurance Division: Call 888-877-4894 (toll-free) or 503-947-7984 (Salem) from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Investment advisers and their representatives, investment scams
- The Oregon Division of Finance and Corporate Securities: 503-378-4140; toll-free: 866-814-9710. The division regulates the sale of securities and franchises, registers securities offerings made in Oregon, and licenses businesses and people who sell investment securities, and investment advisers. The securities section also educates investors to identify and avoid fraudulent investment schemes. Visit the Investor Information site.
- The Securities and Exchange Commission also registers investment firms and advisers. Check by clicking here.
Mortgage lenders, loan originators
- The Oregon Division of Finance and Corporate Securities licenses lenders and loan originators and takes complaints about the terms and conditions of a loan or misrepresentations about a mortgage loan offer. Call 503-947-7067.
Manufactured structure dealers
- The Oregon Division of Finance and Corporate Securities: 503-947-7067.
- The Oregon Division of Finance and Corporate Securities investigates complaints about violations of the Oregon Identity Theft Protection Act; information for business owners, nonprofits, government agencies, and others on how they can protect the personal information of customers and employees: 503-947-7423.
- The Bureau of Labor and Industries: 971-673-0761 or email.
Workers' compensation insurance
- The Workers' Compensation Division: 503-947-7815.
- Small Business Ombudsman: 503-378-4209.
- Ombudsman for Injured Workers: 503-378-3351 or 800-927-1271.
- Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Division (Oregon OSHA): 503-947-7397. Contact the nearest field office to report a workplace hazard or file a complaint online.