Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only

    Benefits & Certifications Unit   

What are my rights as an injured worker?

Be sure to check your rights under each phase of your claim. Your rights will be written in the documents you receive from the insurer or from the Workers' Compensation Division. Contact the insurer if you have questions about your claim or receive documents you do not understand.


Your rights:

You have the right to file a workers' compensation claim for injuries or occupational illnesses occurring on the job.

You have the right to seek medical treatment, this may be by your own doctor or a doctor of a managed care organization (MCO), depending on your employer's workers' compensation insurance policy. You may still treat with your own doctor rather than a doctor of a MCO if your doctor agrees to the terms of the MCO contract, and has been approved by the MCO.

You have the right to return to work if you are released for work by your doctor.

If you are partially or totally disabled due to your injury, you have the right to disability (time-loss) pay.

If you do not agree with the insurer's decision about your claim, you have the right to appeal the decision.

You have the right to be represented by an attorney at no cost for attorney's fees. An attorney will explain any costs you might have to pay.


Protect your rights:

Find out the name of your employer's workers' compensation insurer. If you need help, call the Workers' Compensation Division,
888-877-5670 or 503-947-7814.

Read all letters and notices about your claim. Pay attention to instructions about medical appointments, time limits to appeal claim decisions, and requests for information. If you fail to take action or if you miss a deadline, you may lose your right to workers' compensation benefits.

Keep copies of all letters you send and receive.

Keep all medical appointments.

Contact your employer immediately when your doctor releases you for work.

If you have questions about this webpage, please contact Benefits & Certifications Unit, 503-947-7585.