Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only

New website coming soon

Oregon OSHA is launching a new website in the coming weeks. You will need to update your bookmarks.
The new website is designed to work well on mobile devices and increase accessibility for people with disabilities.

File a Complaint

Contact us if you are an employee in Oregon and would like to report hazards at your worksite, or believe you have been discriminated against on the basis of safety and health issues. You can file a complaint by filling out the online complaint form, or by contacting the closest field office to your job.

We recommend that employees attempt to resolve safety and health issues by reporting them to their supervisors, managers, or to the safety and health committee.

Complaint Form: English | Spanish

Please note:

If your complaint relates to enforcement of minimum wage or collection of wages owed, go to the Bureau of Labor and Industries, Wage and Hour Division.

For discrimination complaints, go to the Bureau of Labor and Industries, Civil Rights Division.

If you have a food safety concern, those issues are usually best addressed by a local county health department. Both the Oregon Health Authority and the Oregon Department of Agriculture regulate foodborne illness.

Si su queja esta relacionada con el salario mínimo o el adeudo de su salario, por favor diríjase al Departamento de Trabajo e Industrias, División de Horas y Salarios.

Para quejas de discriminación, por favor diríjase al Departamento de Trabajo e Industrias, División de Derechos Civiles.

Si tiene preocupación de salud con los alimentos, estas situaciones suelen resolverse por el departamento de salud del condado local. Tanto el Departamento de Salud Pública y el Departamento de Agricultura de Oregon regulan las enfermedades transmitidas por los alimentos.


Complaint Process

Program Directive A-219 establishes policies and procedures for how Oregon OSHA handles complaints relating to workplace safety and health conditions.

Complaints are handled one of two ways:

  1. An inspection of the alleged hazards at the employer's worksite.
  2. An inquiry, which is handled by phone, letter, or email to the employer.

Oregon OSHA will choose whether to conduct an inquiry or inspection. This allows us to use resources where the most serious workplace hazards may exist. Employees can request an on-site inspection if they are not satisfied with the inquiry.

When we handle a complaint through an inquiry, we will get a hold of the employer and describe the alleged hazards. The employer must respond in writing within five days for faxed letters and ten days for mailed letters. The employer must respond to the reported problems and document the actions they have taken or plan to take to correct the hazards - if the hazards were indeed true. The employee who filed the original complaint will receive a copy of the employer's response.

Anyone who knows about a workplace safety or health hazard may contact us and the hazards will be evaluated. Employees or their representatives may request an inspection of a workplace if they believe there is a violation of a safety or health standard, if there is any danger that threatens physical well being, or if an "imminent danger" hazard exists.

Oregon OSHA will keep the employee's identity confidential at the employee's request. Confidentiality requires a signature according to ORS 654.062(4) of the Oregon Safe Employment Act.

Filing a Discrimination Complaint with the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI)

According to Oregon law, it is illegal to discriminate against any employee or prospective employee because the employee has opposed any practice that the Oregon Safe Employment Act prohibits. That means that you can’t lose your job if you file a complaint with Oregon OSHA or report workplace safety and health issues. You are protected by ORS 654.001 to 654.295.

If you, as an employee or prospective employee, believe that you have been not hired, let go from employment, or otherwise discriminated against because you raised workplace safety and health issues, you may file a complaint. You must file within 90 days with the Commissioner of the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries alleging discrimination under provisions of ORS 659A.820.